The Green River Lake Tailwater is a popular destination for anglers looking to catch rainbow and brown trout. The area below the Green River Lake Dam provides a unique environment for these species to thrive. Here is some additional information and details to help you make the most of your fly fishing experience at the Green River Lake Tailwater.
There are a few key access points to the tailwater section below the dam, which include:
- Tailwater Recreation Area: Located directly below Green River Lake Dam, this area offers easy access to the river with parking, restrooms, and picnic facilities. Directions
- Smith Ridge Recreation Area: Situated further downstream, this access point offers another opportunity to fish the tailwater section, with a boat ramp, parking, and restrooms. Directions
Fishing Techniques and Flies
When fly fishing the Green River Lake Tailwater, it’s essential to adjust your techniques and flies based on the time of year and water conditions. Some effective techniques and fly patterns for this area include:
- Nymphing: Fishing nymphs like Pheasant Tail Nymphs, Hare’s Ear Nymphs, and Prince Nymphs can be productive in deeper pools and runs.
- Streamers: Using streamer patterns such as Woolly Buggers, Muddler Minnows, and Zonkers can be effective, especially when targeting larger trout.
- Dry Flies: During the warmer months, dry fly fishing with patterns like Elk Hair Caddis, Adams, and Blue-Winged Olives can produce excellent results when a hatch is occurring.
Local Conditions and Regulations
Keep the following in mind when planning your trip to the Green River Lake Tailwater:
- Water Levels: Water levels can fluctuate due to releases from the dam and local rainfall. Check the USACE Green River Lake website for information on dam releases and water levels.
- Fishing Regulations: Ensure you have a valid Kentucky fishing license and are aware of the specific fishing regulations for the Green River Lake Tailwater. Check the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources for up-to-date regulations and catch limits.
By understanding the unique features and conditions of the Green River Lake Tailwater, you can enjoy a successful and enjoyable fly fishing experience in this beautiful location.