Q&A With Writer John Gierach on His New Book “All the Time in the World” – Field & Stream
***Nerd Alert*** I’m a little frustrated with this theme because I can post an outline that uses bullet points (like the one below), but I can not post a traditional I,A,i,a style outline that retains the proper formatting. Something to add to the list of things to ponder or perhaps do something about …
This was too small for an actual post but I thought it should be included somewhere.
A detailed comparison between the Yeti Tundra 45 and the Orca 40 coolers
Design and Build Quality
- Yeti Tundra 45: Features a rugged, roto-molded construction that ensures durability and longevity, making it suitable for harsh fly fishing environments.
- Orca 40: Also boasts a roto-molded construction, known for its durability and ability to withstand tough conditions.
- Yeti Tundra 45: Uses T-Rex Lid Latches made from heavy-duty rubber, which provide a secure closure and are designed to resist breaking or snapping.
- Orca 40: Features Whale Tail Latches made from durable rubber, providing a secure and tight closure similar to the Yeti Tundra 45’s T-Rex Lid Latches.
Ice Retention and Insulation
- Yeti Tundra 45: Comes with 2 inches of PermaFrost insulation on the walls and 3 inches on the lid, ensuring excellent ice retention.
- Orca 40: Offers up to 3 inches of insulation throughout the cooler, providing impressive ice retention capabilities that are comparable to the Yeti Tundra 45.
Ice Retention Performance
- Yeti Tundra 45: Known for its exceptional ice retention capabilities, with many users reporting ice lasting up to 5-7 days in optimal conditions.
- Orca 40: Performs similarly to the Yeti Tundra 45 in terms of ice retention, with users reporting ice lasting up to 5-7 days under ideal conditions.
Capacity and Storage
- Yeti Tundra 45: Offers a 45-quart storage capacity, holding up to 28 cans of beverages (with a 2:1 ice-to-can ratio) or approximately 34.8 pounds of ice only.
- Orca 40: Has a 40-quart storage capacity, which is slightly smaller than the Yeti Tundra 45, but still offers ample space for food, beverages, and ice.
Dry Goods Basket
- Yeti Tundra 45: Comes with a removable dry goods basket, allowing you to keep perishables separate from ice and chilled items.
- Orca 40: Does not include a dry goods basket, which may be a disadvantage for those who want to keep their food and beverages organized and accessible.
Portability and Ease of Use
- Yeti Tundra 45: Equipped with military-grade polyester rope DoubleHaul Handles, making it easier to carry and transport, even when fully loaded.
- Orca 40: Features flexible nylon rope handles with rubber grips, providing a comfortable carrying experience that is comparable to the Yeti Tundra 45’s DoubleHaul Handles.
- Yeti Tundra 45: Priced as a premium option in the cooler market.
- Orca 40: Generally less expensive than the Yeti Tundra 45 but more expensive than some other competitors, making it a mid-range option in terms of price.
In conclusion, both the Yeti Tundra 45 and the Orca 40 are high-quality coolers with durable construction, impressive ice retention capabilities, and user-friendly features. The Yeti Tundra 45 has a slightly larger storage capacity and includes a dry goods basket, while the Orca 40 offers a more budget-friendly price point. The choice between these two coolers will depend on individual preferences and priorities
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn a small commission if you purchase something using the links in this post. But don’t worry, I only recommend products that I love and use myself. Thanks for your support!